Are Apex's Recent Updates Going to Be Enough

  I was out last week and found two mobile games that I will most likely be posting about but today the unavoidable post is to talk a little about Apex.  I have played a lot of it, so much it started taking up my free gaming time and I stopped playing a lot of other games just in general.  Black Ops was continuously bogged down with in-game items you had to pay for, weak content in passes, and it constantly felt like there was a promise that was not being delivered on.  Blackout wasn't a terrible BR but it couldn't contend with the monster that is Fortnite and Apex dropped out of nowhere by the same studio of Titanfall.

  This is rehashed for those who have followed the game but what impressed me at the time was the impact that Apex had right out the gate.  The way they had kept it secret and garnered attention from the streamers was nothing short of impressive.  Their numbers spiked immediately and although it was not the death of its rival Fortnite, it sure brought the rest of the genre to its knees.  In my opinion, the main reason is they brought all new mechanics into a game mode that was stale.  From the required three-man teams to the ability to respawn teammates, the game felt fresh and new.  When I first picked it up I knew it was going to be another time suck and it now is the game that is sucking up most of my time.  Most annoyingly from the ridiculous slow progression on the battle pass but it still had me engrossed.

  While I am sure the game does not have the player base it did out the gate and I doubt its growing as much as it was (we can guess this by the lack of bragging from the studio).  None the less it remains one of the most streamed and it takes little if any time to find a match.  So can this game that is nearing its 3rd month out stay relevant with their upcoming content?  My guess is yes and here is why.

  First I can't tell you how excited I am they listened to the community heard how lackluster and overbearing we thought the battle pass was and have decided to fix it.  In this season alone they have dropped a new skin that is one of the best looking Wraith skins but and R301 skin I was blown away by.  Not only that but they got the hint the game needs a reason to log on besides just playing it and have created an event with objectives.  This is something that has kept Fortnite interesting and is just another sign showing the devs are seeing it.  All of the quality of life improvements don't hurt either.

  The big sign will be the number of people playing and streaming in the upcoming week.  As of now, it's hovering around sixth on Twitch so not too much hype has been generated.  The new top five mode may be something that could turn the late game into a slog as people try and hide their way into position.  It has a decent shot but right now time will give the best answer.

Comments