Summary of Nintendo Direct 9.13.2007

  I had the chance to catch the Nintendo Direct announcement and I wanted to give my thoughts on some of what I saw.  As I have talked about many times, but should state again, I have been a fan of Nintendo before and most recently got back in with the Nintendo Switch.  I'll be mostly focused on that for my summary.  Four games were heavily spotlighted then we got a crap ton of teasers.  This year has been great for Nintendo so far and it doesn't look like they are slowing down.  If you don't want to read someone's opinion and just want to see this shit for yourself I wanted to provide that here.

[Feel free to skip this paragraph]
  The first announcement was about Pokemon Ultra Moon/Sun where the monotoned announcer, who definitely wasn't script reading, told us all about the new content.  I have not played the newest ones so a rare Pokemon who made all of your previous Pokemon inadequate did something and now you have to fight it with other ones.  Oh, and you get to customise your character more so I guess that's cool.  Then several more titles were announced for the 3DS, like a new Mario, Kirby, and those plastic Amiibos that Nintendo has replaced cheat codes with.  There were many more games like a Mario Party best of, Metroid, and some RPGs but, once again, I came here for the Switch.

  Xenoblade Chronicles 2 two was the first game covered on the Switch.  The game looks great from what they showed.  This is one of those games that will push what the Switch can do graphically so far.  It has the anime look, which give them a lot of artistic freedom with the limited hardware.  They used this opportunity to introduce us to the story of Xenoblade and the world of Titans, which are giant creatures with eco systems on their back.  The game is an RPG with action combat so you will be moving but not as fast a free action adventure game.  This game looks clean but I could see combat getting a little repetitive.  RPGs fall victim to that more than not so this one is one I'll wait for reviews before diving into.

[Feel free to skip this paragraph]
  I am going to fast fire the headlines.  Splatoon is getting some new stuff/levels.  Fire Emblem Warriors looks like a Dynasty Warrior Clone.  Snipper Clippers is getting more content.  It's at this point I realized how bad Nintendo is starting to milk us with DLC.  There was also Morphies Law which looks like a soft FPS, meaning nobody dies but some objective is filled.  Rocket League is making its way to the console.  Arena of Valor is a MOBA coming to Switch, which ok sure that's pretty cool.(beta test this winter)  Oh look, another Skyrim and you can look like Link, cool.  Doom and Wolfenstein 2 are coming in so that's actually pretty fucking cool.  I zoned out here but there is more stuff, nothing I was excited about, except the Pokemon fighting game demo is up right now.

  A demo for a game they are working on was shown called Octopath Traveler(working title). Its an RPG with an interesting art style. Its 3-d game with 2d pixel art and I have to say it looks pretty cool.  All the animations they showed look fluid.  I never played Bravely Default, which was the last game from this studio so I'll have to do some investigation on how that turned out.  This game is going to be launched as a demo pretty soon on the eshop so we can get a taste anyways.

[Feel free to skip this paragraph]
  There were more headlines and honestly this article is getting long so; Arms update, Dragon Quest Builders (actually looks cool), more on the new Kerby Star Allies, telling us to buy more indi shit, Tiny Metal deserves to be mentioned, Lost Sphear, Sonic Forces, Resident Evil Revelations 1 & 2, L.A. Noire.

  Then they finished up with more info on Mario Odyssey.  I have to say this is the next title I am truly excited for.  The Mario games have constantly been the stand alone success of these consoles and this one does not look any different.  The environments look rich and interesting.  Plenty of levels, top graphics for the console, and gameplay that is smooth and responsive.  Mario is one of the last surviving classic open world platformers and they do such a great job of making it work.  I can't wait to jump into this one and spend way too much time with the new camera tool they created.

  All in all, we got what we already knew about and nothing ground breaking.  I am still waiting on the Pokemon Switch stand alone they hinted at.  I am also waiting on the news of the Stardew Valley port, I loved it for the PC and a portable version just sounds amazing.  Even with all these titles, Mario Odyssey is, in my opinion, the only must buy title coming out on the horizon. Finally, it really has to be appreciated that Nintendo is providing us with so many demos.

TL;DR:

  It was a lot of showing more content for games that were already announced.  Octopath Traveler is something new that you can demo soon in the store (when they said soon they ment now).  There is also the Pokemon fighting game demo available and a MOBA demo coming out this winter.

   

Comments