Roll the Ball Review



  While playing Two Dots and using the advertisements for a bonus starting Roll the Ball by BitMango came up.  It really didn't look that great and so I thought I would take a shot at it.  You know the saying never judge a book by its cover?  That saying was wrong, I was right.  This game isn't that great.

The Game:

  Roll the Ball is a puzzle game where you need to get a ball from the start pipe square are to the finish pipe area.  The grid you are in is a 4x4 grid with at most 14 movable pieces.  You do this by rearranging the surrounding squares with pipe pieces and when the two ends are connected the ball will roll through the pipes to the end. Think the game Pipe Dream but its now waiting on you and a much smaller puzzle.  

  There are several modes.  The first star mode just being completing the puzzle with pieces containing stars, a classic mode will count your moves, and there are two others you can play enough to unlock or $.99 to unlock early.  One mode you can move the tile once the ball moves into and the other you can touch tiles to rotate them. There is a multiplayer but I sat waiting for 5 minutes and was not matched so can't really review it.

My Thoughts:

  Well it's a game.  So there is that.  I took a gamble and clicked on this one through an ad and what I had not realized was I had downloaded an ad onto my phone.  This game has very basic and non varying gameplay loop.  It doesn't become more challenging then the first few levels. You just have to move the tiles mores.

  This game feels half assed all the way around.  There are so few sound assets, no background tracks, and not even a flashy finish when you win the level.  This doesn't feel like a passion project but a way to force feed app adverts to you.  You get one between every level. 

  There are several other puzzle games then this that are far more rewarding.  The reason I found this game is from a mobile puzzle game that brings so much to the table that this games fails to do.  I am sure there is a crowd for this but honestly if you are in need of a simple puzzle game you might want to go somewhere else. 

TL;DR:

  If you really like doing a monotonous task over and over again, with no variation in aesthetics or sound assets, then this game is for you.  For everyone else, I wouldn't bother putting this on your phone.

Comments