Infested Planet Review



  Infested Planet by Rocket Bear Games is a really interesting indi take on an RTS. It doesn't try to do too much but it does enough to be fun. If you are looking to command units to shoot something, and I mean a lot of something, then this games might just fit your bill.

The Game:

  Infested Planet is a real time strategy without the resource mining.  You start every map with five units and a few of the games "resources".  In order to gain more resources, you have to capture a point or take capsules that are sometimes scattered around back to a point you already have captured.  You can then use points to buy more soldier, upgrade those soldiers, or buy buildings with different abilities.

  The enemy is an alien that spawns from spores and buildings through the map.  They will continuously spawn in an endless wave until you destroy the building.  In later levels destroying the larger spore building will cause a map wide buff enhancing those enemies still remaining.  There are several game types but most of the time completing a level means clearing the map.  You choose what map you want to do through the world map that has paths for the story or other challenges.

  You gain money from completing the missions and you can use this money to buy more building or unit types.  There are also a few one-time buffs you can buy before a map to help you out such as the unit types that you will start with.

My Thoughts:

  Infested Planet is a game I would have never even though of playing until I saw it with another game I wanted to try on the Humble Bundle.  The graphics are simple pixel graphics and the core gameplay does not look that appealing in the trailer.  Lucky for me I did get to play it.

  The game isn't incredibly long but it was enjoyable.  It slowly starts to give you more abilities that you can use to fight the hordes.  These buildings and weapons upgrades do make a huge difference in each map.  The different and ever strengthening enemies require you to use strategy and carefully think how you want to execute through the map.  Running straight in can lead to some devastation results.

  The controls are pretty good and the all familiar hot keys are there including binding groups.  It really makes it easy to quickly deploy building you want.  I did find the behavior of the units a bit frustrating though.  When you turn them to shoot I wasn't getting the reaction time I wanted, especially with the machine gun units, but that really is my only complaint.  That and the music can be a bit repetitive.

  While it might not be flashy it's a fairly fun and complete game.  I am not sure I would have bought it at its full retail price but a reduced one makes this game a reasonable selection.  There is an expansion for it that looks to have expanded on the game and maybe when I get some bandwidth I'll have to check it out.

TL;DR:

  Infested Planet is a decent RTS from an indie studio.  It follows the genre well enough and has a decent core gameplay loop to get you through the game.  I wouldn't spend a lot of money getting it but if it's on sale or you have it in your inventory go ahead and load it up.

Comments